“Adyashanti” means primordial peace. Adyashanti dares all seekers of peace and freedom to take the possibility of liberation in this life seriously. He began teaching in 1996, at the request of his Zen teacher with whom he had been studying for 14 years. Since then many spiritual seekers have awakened to their true nature while spending time with Adyashanti.
Adyashanti offers spontaneous and direct nondual teachings that have been compared to those of the early Zen masters and Advaita Vedanta sages. However, Adya says, “If you filter my words through any tradition or ‘-ism’, you will miss altogether what I am saying. The liberating truth is not static; it is alive. It cannot be put into concepts and be understood by the mind. The truth lies beyond all forms of conceptual fundamentalism. What you are is the beyond—awake and present, here and now already. I am simply helping you to realize that.”
A native of Northern California, Adyashanti lives with his wife, Mukti, and teaches extensively in the San Francisco Bay Area offering satsangs, weekend intensives, and silent retreats. He also travels to teach in other areas of the United States and Canada.
Books and other media:
- Resurrecting Jesus – self guided video course
- The End of Your World (book)
- The End of Your World (CD)
- Emptiness Dancing
- True Meditation
- Falling Into Grace
- Spontaneous Awakening
- Realization Unfolds
Other interviews with Adyashanti
- Interview on Conscious.tv covering a lot of biographical info.
- Adyashanti and Francis Bennett on “Resurrecting Jesus”
- Adyashanti and Susanne Marie on the Falling Away of Self
- Adyashanti and Francis Bennett on “The Embrace of Jesus and Buddha”
- Adyashanti and Michael A. Rodriguez
Interview recorded 8/30/2011
Video and audio below. I’m sorry about the video quality. We had technical problems which we weren’t able to surmount. Audio also available as a Podcast.