Founder of the Wellspring Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom and on the Advisory Board of the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, he’s been an invited speaker at Oxford, Stanford, and Harvard, and taught in meditation centers worldwide.
An authority on self-directed neuroplasticity, Dr. Hanson’s work has been featured on the BBC, NPR, CBC, FoxBusiness, Consumer Reports Health, U.S. News and World Report, and O Magazine, and his articles have appeared in Tricycle Magazine, Insight Journal, and Inquiring Mind. He has several audio programs with Sounds True, he edits the Wise Brain Bulletin, and his weekly e-newsletter – Just One Thing – has over 100,000 subscribers, and also appears on Huffington Post, Psychology Today, and other major websites.
A summa cum laude graduate of UCLA, Dr. Hanson has been a trustee of Saybrook University, and he served on the board of Spirit Rock Meditation Center for nine years and was President of the Board of FamilyWorks, a community agency. He began meditating in 1974, trained in several traditions, and leads a weekly meditation gathering in San Rafael, California. He enjoys rock climbing and taking a break from emails. He and his wife have two adult children.
Books and other media:
- Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
(in 4 languages),
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom
(in 25 languages),
- Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time
(in 12 languages), and
- Mother Nurture: A Mother’s Guide to Health in Body, Mind, and Intimate Relationships
- Stress-Proof Your Brain
- Meditations to Change Your Brain
- The Enlightened Brain
- Meditations for Happiness
- Self-Directed Brain Change
- Letting Go: A Key to Lasting Happiness
- Steadying Your Mind
- Awaken Your Brain
Interview recorded 12/14/2013.
Discussion of this interview in the BatGap Community Facebook Group.
Video and audio below. Audio also available as a Podcast.