Eventually, he went to Asia and did extensive training in each of the three major Buddhist traditions: Vajrayana, Zen and Vipassana. Upon returning to the United States, his academic interests shifted to the burgeoning dialogue between Eastern meditation and Western science.
Shinzen is known for his innovative “interactive, algorithmic approach” to mindfulness, a system specifically designed for use in pain management, recovery support, and as an adjunct to psychotherapy.
He leads meditation retreats throughout North America and has helped establish numerous mindfulness centers and programs. He also consults widely on meditation-related research, in both the clinical and the basic science domains.
He often says:
“My life’s passion lies in exploring what may arise from the cross-fertilization of the best of the East with the best of the West.”
- basicmindfulness.com (Phone-based retreats and classes)
- shinzen.org (Articles, CDs, onsite retreats)
- YouTube.com/user/expandcontract (Video talks)
- YouTube.com/user/ShinzenInterviews (Interviews with Shinzen)
- The Science of Enlightenment
- Science of Enlightenment CD series
- Natural Pain Relief
- The Five Ways to Know Yourself (Basic Mindfulness Practice Manual – Free PDF)
- What Is Mindfulness? – A Comprehensive Overview (Free PDF)
Interview recorded 8/16/2014
Video and audio below. Audio also available as a Podcast.