Robert A.F. Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies in the Department of Religion at Columbia University, President of the Tibet House U.S., a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Tibetan civilization, and President of the American Institute of Buddhist Studies, a non-profit affiliated with the Center for Buddhist Studies at Columbia University and dedicated to the publication of translations of important artistic and scientific treatises from the Tibetan Tengyur.
TIME Magazine chose Professor Thurman as one of its 25 most influential Americans in 1997, describing him as a “larger than life scholar-activist destined to convey the Dharma, the precious teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha, from Asia to America.” The New York Times recently said Thurman “is considered the leading American expert on Tibetan Buddhism.”
In this interview we discuss Thurman’s latest book: Man of Peace: The Illustrated Life Story of the Dalai Lama of Tibet.
Thurman is known as a talented popularizer of the Buddha’s teachings. He is a riveting speaker and an author of many books on Tibet, Buddhism, art, politics and culture, including:
- The Central Philosophy of Tibet
- Circling the Sacred Mountain : A Spiritual Adventure Through the Himalayas
- Essential Tibetan Buddhism
- The Tibetan Book of the Dead: Liberation Through Understanding in the Between
- Wisdom and Compassion The Sacred Art of Tibet
- Inner Revolution
- Infinite Life: Awakening to Bliss Within
- The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
- Why the Dalai Lama Matters: His Act of Truth as the Solution for China, Tibet, and the World
- With Sharon Salzberg, Love Your Enemies: How to Break the Anger Habit & Be a Whole Lot Happier
Isa Gucciardi, Ph.D. is the Founding Director of the Foundation of the Sacred Stream, a school for consciousness studies in Berkeley, CA. Isa is also the creator of the spiritual counseling model, Depth Hypnosis. In addition to her teaching schedule that includes teaching classes in Applied Buddhist Psychology, Applied Shamanism, Integrated Energy Medicine and Depth Hypnosis, she has active practices in Depth Hypnosis and Applied Shamanic Counseling in San Francisco, CA.
In this interview, we discuss Isa’s latest book: Coming to Peace: Resolving Conflict Within Ourselves and With Others
Discussion of this interview in the Batgap Community Facebook Group.
Recorded October 19, 2017 at the Science and Nonduality Conference.
Video and audio below. Audio also available as a Podcast.