Cynthia Jurs is a Tibetan Buddhist lama and a Dharmacharya in the Order of Interbeing of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh whose source of refuge and spiritual inspiration is Mother Earth; Gaia. In 1990, she made a life-changing pilgrimage to meet the hermit and meditation master, Kushok Mangden Charok Rinpoche, a 106-year-old lama living in a remote cave in Nepal from whom she received the practice of the Earth Treasure Vases when she asked him, “What can we do to bring healing and protection to the Earth?”
For thirty years, Cynthia has been building a global community committed to planetary healing and collective awakening in partnership with elders and activists around the world. Cynthia teaches an innovative blend of engaged Buddhism and sacred activism through the Earth Treasure Vase Global Healing Project, the Open Way Sangha in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and the international Gaia Mandala Community. Through her nonprofit, Alliance for the Earth, Cynthia has worked with former combatants and the women who stopped a war in Liberia, West Africa, to build peace, teaching mindfulness and co-founding the Peace Hut Alliance for Conflict Transformation. Cynthia’s book, Summoned by the Earth, is forthcoming.
- Website: EarthTreasureVase.org – learn more and subscribe to the monthly Earth Treasure Vase Full Moon Newsletter which is the best way to stay in touch
- New website – GaiaMandala.net – coming soon. Will be the home for our global healing community with many practices, calls, courses and more ways to get involved in our work of global healing and collective awakening.
- Join the monthly Full Moon Earth Treasure Vase Global Healing Meditation here. This is a free call via Zoom. A recording is automatically sent out to registered participants.
- Gaia Calling: Being a Holy Vessel for Global Healing & Collective Awakening — a 7-week course co-taught by Cynthia Jurs and David Nicol via Zoom April 20—June 10, 2020. Join our free introductory call on April 11th to learn more.
- Tara Gaia Teachings; a Vajrayana-style deity practice inspired by Tara with a visualization of Gaia and a recitation of her mantra. Cynthia will be giving the transmission and teaching of this practice during two-weekend retreats via Zoom — July 25-26 and November 7-8, 2020. Having received the teachings, one can join a monthly practice group. Let us know you are interested here.
- Monday Mindfulness Meditation, a weekly gathering via Zoom at 4 pm Pacific // 5 pm Mountain // 7 pm Eastern. As we shelter at home, we can meet this moment of collective crisis and opportunity with calm and clarity by cultivating a practice of calm abiding in mindfulness. In this weekly 1.5-hour practice group, we will sit, walk and sit again—entering into the quiet space within and stopping to catch our breath, to center ourselves, to let go of worry and fear and reconnect with our true source of Being. At the end of our practice, there will be an opportunity for mindful sharing around the circle. Click here if you are interested in participating.
Discussion of this interview in the BatGap Community Facebook Group.
Interview recorded March 28, 2020
Video and audio below. Audio also available as a Podcast.