Anita Moorjani is the New York Times bestselling author of What If This Is Heaven?: How Our Cultural Myths Prevent Us from Experiencing Heaven on Earth and Dying To Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing. A beloved international speaker, she lives in the United States with her husband, Danny, and has dedicated her life to empowering the minds and hearts of people with her story of courage and transformation. Anita was born in Singapore to Indian parents and grew up in Hong Kong speaking English, Cantonese, and an Indian dialect simultaneously. Prior to her near-death experience, she worked in the corporate world.
- Anita’s website
- Anita’s latest book: Sensitive Is the New Strong: The Power of Empaths in an Increasingly Harsh World
- Audio CD: Deep Meditation for Healing
- Previous BatGap interview with Anita.
Some of the points discussed in this conversation:
- A review of Anita’s near-death experience: “It felt like love was coming from the whole universe, I was bathed in it”.
- How it changed her life, physically and spiritually, and continues to do so.
- A brief discussion of her 2nd book, “What if This is heaven?” – how to create heaven on earth.
- Focusing on what you want, and not on fear.
- Anita’s new book, “Sensitive is the New Strong”.
- The spectrum from sociopathy to empathy.
- Empaths can become doormats, feeling and absorbing others’ pain and not differentiating it from their own; always giving but struggling to receive.
- The people society regards as powerful are often the most aggressive and insensitive. Sensitive people shy away from power, but if the world were run by empaths we would heal hunger in a minute. We can’t have empathic leaders without a grassroots shift in collective consciousness.
- Learning to follow your inner guidance and not give away your power.
- Sensitivity is seen as weakness and should be seen as strength.
- Empathy and spiritual development should be major components of education.
- How to balance strength with sensitivity.
- How to give without being depleted.
- The importance of taking time for practice, to recharge.
- How to know if one is an empath.
- Empaths struggle until they learn that their 6th sense is a gift.
- Can non-empaths become empaths?
- Spiritual awakening does not make one an empath.
- Are empaths more vulnerable to disease?
- Empaths may be more amenable to alternative medicine than others.
- Spiritual development is a marathon, not a sprint.
- Empath’s inability to say ‘no’ creates problems for them.
- Anita’s answer to a woman who lost her 14-year-old son to leukemia a year ago.
- Integrating spiritually transcendent experiences into our earthly life once we “return.”
- Dealing with skeptics and debunkers.
- Your body is more powerful than you have been led to believe. Having a will to live. Create a life that you love.
- Sensitive people often have repressed egos. If spiritual teachers tell them ego is bad, they may repress even more.
- Ground yourself. Entrain with the earth’s cleansing energies.
- Don’t worry about creating boundaries. Expand your energy and you won’t need them.
- We are all interconnected. We are all one consciousness.
Discussion of this interview in the BatGap Community Facebook Group.
Interview recorded June 3, 2021.
Video and audio below. Audio also available as a Podcast.