Academic neurosurgeon Dr. Eben Alexander III, whose career includes decades as a physician and associate professor at Harvard Medical School and revered teaching hospitals, was once staunchly committed to the materialist world view — the belief that the physical world is all that exists. His scientific belief system was altered by a 2008 transcendental near-death experience (NDE) in which a bacterial infection severely damaged his brain as he fell into a week-long coma during which he experienced an odyssey into another realm. Despite a bleak medical prognosis, Dr. Alexander awoke to make an inexplicable return to full health. He has since become a pioneering scientist and modern thought leader in the emerging science that acknowledges the primacy of consciousness in the universe, he is the author of the New York Times #1 bestseller Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife, The Map of Heaven: How Science, Religion, and Ordinary People Are Proving the Afterlife, and Living in a Mindful Universe: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Heart of Consciousness.
Karen Newell is an author and specialist in personal development with a diverse body of work that rests upon the foundation of heart-centered consciousness. As an innovator in the emerging field of brainwave entrainment audio meditation, Karen empowers others in their journeys of self-discovery by demonstrating how to connect to inner guidance, achieve inspiration, improve wellness and develop intuition. She is co-founder of Sacred Acoustics, and co-author with Eben Alexander III, M.D. of Living in a Mindful Universe.
Website shared by Eben and Karen: innersanctumcenter.com
Some points discussed during this conversation:
- Eben’s NDE and improbable recovery, including experience of a subterranean realm, the collapse of 4-dimensional reality, his guardian angel, and a “gateway valley” in which souls reside between lives.
- The importance of music and sound. Binaural beats.
- Experiencing a life review (how we impacted others) during NDEs has been reported for over 2,000 years.
- Dealing with things now so they do not need to be handled during your life review.
- The brain does not create consciousness. Our mental states create our physical reality.
- Is the world about to undergo a “phase transition” to a “golden age”?
- The alignment of science and spirituality – the afterlife and reincarnation studied seriously. Important because mainstream society trusts science. The work of Ian Stevenson and Jim Tucker.
- The brain as a filter.
- The harmful ramifications of science not understanding consciousness as primary.
- Materialists are entrenched because it’s hard to admit that one’s life’s work has been based upon a misunderstanding. They are going extinct.
- Memory storage: in the brain or in the ‘cloud’?
- Kindness, compassion, love, forgiveness – feminine qualities the world needs now.
- The importance of discernment on the spiritual path.
- How would a person choose their parents and other life events? Our perspective between lives is much broader and not ego-bound.
- How do we know our life’s purpose and how to live it?
- During sleep, we interact with subtle realms.
- The veil shrouding humanity’s consciousness is thinning.
- Do we reunite with pets on the other side?
- Illness can be a learning experience for the soul.
Discussion of this interview in the BatGap Community Facebook Group.
Interview recorded April 17, 2021.
Video and audio below. Audio also available as a Podcast.